The Faculty of Economics and Management
Dean of the Faculty
- СМК РД 7.3.45-2015 «Положение о факультете ФГБОУ ВПО «Петербургский государственный университет путей сообщения Императора Александра I»
- (812) 407-40-39, (812) 457-85-46
- Saint Petersburg, 115 Fontanka river embankment, (Yusupov Palace), Emperor Alexander I St.Petersburg State Transport University, Office 9-124, 9-125
The Faculty is located in a historic building, designed by architect Giacomo Quarenghi – Yusupov Palace on the Fontanka River. This is the youngest and most dynamic faculty of the University. Its foundation was an important milestone in the development of the oldest Russian transport institution of higher education. On January 30, 2014 the Faculty celebrated its 20th anniversary. However, the main departments were established much earlier.
More than 155 lecturers, most of whom are candidates of sciences and doctors of sciences, work on the Faculty and ensure the realization of educational, methodological-didactic and scientific projects.
Educational programs of the major specialties and courses include fundamental managerial and economic trainings, based on the study of economic theory, economic history, world economy, management and marketing, as well as trainings in specialized disciplines: transport economics, construction economics, transport accounting, taxation, corporate finance, financial management, etc. Innovative educational technologies based on the e-learning are introduced actively.
The importance of second higher economic education for students of technical specialties became obvious; therefore the Faculty started an educational program «Two in Five». More than 150 students of technical faculties are involved in it.
In 2009, the Academic Certification Center SAP was opened on the Faculty. Advanced training in the field of transport information technologies is held there on the basis of special educational programs.
The Faculty participates regularly in international conferences, among which international theoretical and practical conference «Human and Transport» should be emphasized especially. This conference is organized by the Faculty biyearly and brings together representatives from the European countries, Ukraine and Belarus.
Departments support and develop student initiative to work in scientific societies, participate in conferences and competitions. Students do fundamental and applied scientific researches using the University grants, as well as they participate in research projects in cooperation with «Petersburg Metro (Петербургский метрополитен), October Railway (Октябрьская железная дорога) – branch of JSC «Russian Railways» (ОАО «РЖД») and other enterprises of St. Petersburg and North-West Russia.
The best students of the Faculty get governmental and branch scholarships, such as the Stieglitz grant of «Russian Railways». Annually from 7 to 10 students of the Faculty receive the Stieglitz scholarship after passing a multi-stage competition.
In addition to the training of economists, managers, marketing specialists and psychologists, the Faculty is the University’s center of liberal arts. There are such departments as History; Economic Theory; Philosophy, Political Theory and Sociology. Psychological and cultorological trainings, negotiation workshops and business games are included in the educational processes.
International activity of the Faculty is related to the training of students, as well as advanced training of leading lecturers, professors and associate professors. Long-term cooperation with universities in Germany and Finland allows carrying out annual reciprocal trainings for students within the framework of the project «Baltic Management». Since 2010, an international student exchange program with the Saimaa University of Applied Sciences (Finland, Laapenranta) was launched.
Graduates of the Faculty can find employment in the following areas:
- in the economic and financial departments of the railway transport enterprises, as well as in the economic departments of any other enterprises;
- in the planning and economic departments of the organizations involved in the construction, reconstruction and maintenance of buildings and structures;
- in the freight forwarding and operator companies as managers and marketers;
- in the public and municipal administration departments involved in the regulation of transport activities;
- in the infrastructure transport enterprises (road service, multimodal transportation, terminals, etc.);
- in the research organizations solving problems of the economy and transport management, as well as in the educational institutions;
- in the enterprises with any complexity of accounting;
- in any other enterprises as psychologists.